14.6.14

#5reasonstobehappy....its a thing!!

A few months ago when I was a feeling pretty down, my hubby bought me a book called "14,000 things to be happy about" by Barbara Ann Kipper from an Op Shop. The author had been writing lists of things that made her happy since she was a little girl, and well in to her adult life. And the book is literally that. Her list of things that make her happy. 14,000 things, to be exact. Things like the smell of cinnamon, Micky Mouse, Lighthouses, heart to heart conversations....the list is simple and extraordinary at the same time. 

(one of my many pages from my "happy list.")

 I was inspired! I bought a notebook with the plan to write down a few things that make me happy, and much to my amazement, as soon as I put pen to paper I couldn't stop! I just kept writing and writing and the list kept growing! One notebook became two notebooks and so on. It didn't solve all of my problems, but it was like an "instant spirit lifter." Once I wrote one thing that made me feel happy, it would remind me of 5 more things...and then 5 more things...and so on...

(playing with wool makes me feel happy)

I started writing this list when I was feeling pretty blue. Feeling down can happen to anyone, right? I knew that theoretically, but never did I expect it to happen to happy, carefree, giggly, life's pretty good me!! If you are struggling with some serious anxiety, depression or grief, I don't suggest for one minute that just writing down a list of things that make you happy will "fix" it. In fact, I know that it won't. Sometimes in order to make sure we remain in good mental health we may realise it's time to talk to someone..a GP, a counselor..and if that's you I encourage you to ring up and make that appointment now!  But starting your own "happy list" might put a little sunshine in your day. Just a teeny little bit. 

(ignoring the washing and putting my feet up makes me happy)

And so that's why I do this. It helps. Sometimes I can think of heaps of things that make me happy. Sometime I can only think of one or two things. And on the days when I can't think of anything I just read the list I've already made and go "Oh yeah, that's right." "Happiness" is such a weird word, isn't it? We say it all the time... Happy Birthday, Happy Christmas..but what do we mean? I believed until fairly recently that striving to be "happy" was shallow...There is more to life then just being happy, I would think. There is doing the right thing, sacrifice, honour and justice. Happiness compared to these things just seemed...silly, insignificant. 

(my kids make me happy)

But. You know what? We get to live this life once. Just once. And the more I think about it, I want it to be a  happy one. I'm totally convinced that I'm not meant to be miserable. And so now, "happiness" is a daily goal...and one that I am unapologetic about! 
(pretty flowers make me happy)

What makes you happy??

love Mezz xx

Side note- a month or two ago I started posting some of the things from my list on Facebook, to share with my friends. I would choose 5 things from the list and hashtag it #5reasonstobehappy and much to my surprise it became a "thing" that lots of other people do now! How weird and wonderful is that? Feel free to join in!!

9 comments:

  1. How thoughtful of your hubby gifting you such a lovely book.
    If I've had a tough day at work I try to think of all the things in life I have to be grateful for. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a brilliant idea to me, sure life is not all rainbows and flowers all the time, but there is no reason not to try and find happy where you can, if a smile makes you happy that is fine, go smile, as much as you can. I hope that you keep loving your happy thoughts and moments and that it really helps you to have less less happy moments. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mezz, I've been keeping a similar list, 3 things that I'm grateful for. But I like this happiness list a lot! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post, a great idea! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Mez!
    I did a 30 day Gratitude Challenge two years ago... i would attach a post link here but it was on a different blog, anyway it was fantastic at altering my perspective and i've kept it up. My husband is starting a 30 challenge right now. It's awesome. I love the idea of doing a straight list of things that make you happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happiness abounds here ... I love it ... you deserve lots of happy ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU make me happy....together with the rest of my God given family and friends. This reminds me of my Gratitude diary, started years ago and written in whenever I feel the urge. The thing is, once I start writing down what I'm grateful for, it really is hard to stop! Helps me focus on the positive, not the negative and I realise how blessed I am. As for rainbows (you know I love them), it's a blend of sunshine AND rain that gives us such beauty to enjoy. Love the pic of you with Little Miss 3...tears of joy from this sentementalist xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Mezz, particularly the part about 'striving to be happy, being shallow and that this one life we live should be a happy one'.......bit of a 'light globe' moment.........x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turns out that he wrote those terribly sad songs first, ray ban australia outlet then he started dressing in black, and only later did his life fall apart. Orbison recorded most of the songs he’s known for between 1960 (“Only the Lonely”) and 1964 (“Oh, Pretty Woman”). Although many were pop hits, in retrospect they’re so strange ray ban sunglasses australia as to be almost alarming, because of his remarkable voice and the unconventional song structures he gravitated toward, but also thanks to what he chose to sing about: ray bans australia online operatic expressions of terror and grief; desire imbued with tragedy; and always the preoccupation with crying and dreaming and pain.

    ReplyDelete